Restoring defaults in Ubuntu Gnome

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Aug 5 12:36:05 MST 2009

Contemplate long and hard upgrading, I've had a host of quirky issues
since updating ibex to jaunty that have been annoying me.  These include
screen saver not working (and subsequent locking), random x crashes when
I scroll wheel in firefox (wtf?), and still the same old memory leaks
that I've seemed to have for years across ubuntu releases.  I found
launchpad reports for the x crash, but seems to be at a dead-end with a
lot of complaints.  Probably better doing a clean install as always with
ubuntu, but ymmv.

On the upside, pulseaudio is much improved (if you get the updated
versions from custom ppa - no backports to ibex) with bluetooth device
support, which was more or less my primary reason to upgrade.  Boot
times are much better, and Evolution has gotten more stable as well -
I've had no issues with it what so ever in Jaunty.

-mb