Restoring defaults in Ubuntu Gnome

Joe lists at joefleming.net
Wed Aug 5 11:53:35 MST 2009

I managed to find the obscure link I used to removed gnome-panel in the
first place (and subsequently restored it). Basically, I opened
gconf-editor, went to /apps/gnome/session/required_components and
removed the entry for "panel". All I had to do was add "gnome-panel"
back in, remove AVN and Stalonetray from my session and log out. Once
the panel was running, I tweaked to my preferences and I'm back in business!

Had I used your method, I assume it would have been something like...

$ gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/gnome/session/required_components

But, I just fixed it by hand. I also didn't try just removing .gnome
since it didn't seem like there was anything in there anyway.

Thanks for the input though everyone. Now to contemplate the move to
9.04 (finally!).

-Joe