I need help with IPCop.

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Mon Aug 3 20:11:14 MST 2009

Hi Lisa & Eric,

Questions:
Can you just assign an ip number to a computer? Or does something up
stream of it, (a computer, router, dhcp server, whatever), have to be
made aware of that computer's ip number.

Example, when I assign static ip's on the green zone, I always enter the
ip on both IPCop and the workstation. I setup the network interfaces for
my data server (192.168.0.2) and it worked like a charm, however, I
entered the static ip on both IPCop and the data server. Assuming, I
enter an ip on the web server (192.168.2.2), on what machine upstream of
the web server do I enter the ip?

Eric Shubert wrote:
> I believe you'll need to forgo dhcp and just give it a static address.
> That's what I do. Only servers on the orange subnet anywise.
>
> Note, you can add your orange server(s) to the 'hosts' list with it's
> (orange subnet) address, so that computers on the green network can get
> it's address via dhcp/dns and access it via its private (orange subnet)
> address. Make sure that dhcp is configured to specify the ipcop itself
> as the dns resolver for your green subnet.
Okay, this helps. But, isn't the 'hosts' list just to help the
192.168.0.1 dns name server?

Here is what I did. Can you tell me why it did not work?

First, I added the web server's ip (192.168.2.2) to IPCop's 'hosts' list.

Then on the Ubuntu Web Server:
vi /etc/network/interfaces
#The loopback network interface.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#The primary network interface.
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.2
gateway 192.168.2.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.2.0
broadcast 192.168.2.255

vi /etc/resolv.conf
search 25century.org (same as green)
nameserver 192.168.0.1 (green nic)
(IPCop says not to use IPCop for the orange DNS. What name server should
I use?)

Any advice?
MatthewMPP