Serial Port Terminal Emulation problems in Ubuntu

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Aug 3 09:35:45 MST 2009

Lisa Kachold wrote:
> On 8/3/09, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:
>>
>> My "agenda" (if you need to call it that) is simply to understand how
>> IPCop and debian might be related, which was triggered by your statement:
>
> Well there's a Freelance project related to migrating to a newer
> kernel sources (using Debian):
>
> http://www.getafreelancer.com/projects/Linux/IPCop-debian-package.html

I see. Doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

> I have worked on a debian IPCop in the days before current ISO drop
> in, with custom binary sources (which is DEBIAN based [gee if you can
> build the sources on it, it's DEBIAN - duh!]).

I respectfully disagree. The sources for IPCop can be built on nearly
every other linux variant. Does the fact that some sources are built on
Knoppix (for example) make the resulting binaries Knoppix as well? I
don't think so.

> IpCop in it's current iteration uses the old Linux 2.4 kernel (with
> all it's related limitations).

Right. And IPCop version 2 (in moderately active development) will use
the 2.6 kernel.

Anywise, you've answered my question. Thanks.

--
-Eric 'shubes'