PLUG's role in improving Phx

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:02:45 MST 2009

 Hey Alan,

  I think for starters that someone needs to really take a long hard
look at the economic characteristics of PHX and really get some hard
numbers on

  1) what is the scale of software dev here (and perhaps FOSS usage as well) ?

  2) exactly what if anything is driving this activity?

  3) how can AZ best optimize its economy for its own needs (not just
being CA lite)?

  There clearly are a lot of people interested in software in this
area.  Why?  On what level and in what capacity can we best compete
with CA?  If we can answer these questions objectively THEN perhaps we
can build adequate and appropriate community infrastructure that
serves our needs.  I think the most important premise is, why are
people sending work to India when prices in AZ are comparable?
perhaps an important sub point is that this situation has recently
emerged and perhaps AZ has not yet adjusted?  My observations are that
many of the people who are in this arena are really just unqualified
and looking for an alternative to working at WalMart.

  As for PLUG- I appreciate it greatly.  But I ask be critical of when
people complain- "OT" is an often used excuse for intolerance of other
peoples ideas.

  -jmz