****Re: Geek/Tech/Entrepreneur Stuff to do in PHX

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 2 14:27:01 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 21:20 -0700, keith smith wrote:
> If you are referring to the courts that is one thing the government
> needs to do.
>
> Water
> Sewer
> Trash pickup
> Streets
> Police
> Fire
> Standing Army
> and one or two other things.
>
> Everything else needs to be removed from the government.
>
> Using the courts to resolve a dispute is differently from the
> government providing for our business needs.
>
> Free enterprise.  Do you think as a small business owner I am afforded
> any protection under the law.  Not happening.  Only the big guys get
> help from the government.
>
> I really have to get a few things done so i will sing off for now.
>
> Keep in mind I'm for small government and a free market.
----
the problem is that free market has now proven to be a disaster. The
current economic mess is a direct result of deregulating things like the
banks, Wall Street, etc. While the John Galt logic sounded pretty good,
it simply didn't work and the great Ayn Rand disciple, Greenspan got it
all wrong. We are paying the consequences for this now and will be
paying even more consequences as the next wave of home and commercial
property foreclosures ramp up, unemployment starts to climb again and
more and more people's unemployment benefits expire. Free market is a
great concept that simply doesn't work because corporate interests are
predatory and irresponsible.

The acknowledgment that essential government services listed above
justifies the role of government and you want to argue that it should do
no more. There is much more government should be doing...but they have
abrogated their responsibilities in things like consumer protection.

Government will always be a problem but no government is a worse problem
considering the amount of people and the current trend of business
practices.

believed to be clean.