I need help with IPCop.

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Aug 2 09:12:10 MST 2009

Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
> Okay,
>
> I now have the red, green, and blue zones working properly.
>
> To get the blue zone working, I enabled the blue DHCP server, then added
> a static IP address for the WAP and the laptop. Next, I added the laptop
> to the blue access menu. I also had to co-ordinate the settings of the
> WAP with IPCop. Here are the settings I used:
>
> gateway: 192.168.1.1
> primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
> WAP: 192.168.1.2
> Laptop: 192.168.1.3
>
> I found this traffic flow chart was helpful for understanding IPCop:
>
> http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/admin/images/traffic.png
>

> Three down and one to go...
> Here is the part I really don't get yet. How do I assign an IP address
> to the web server in the Orange Zone, since there is no DHCP server?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
> MatthewMPP

I believe you'll need to forgo dhcp and just give it a static address.
That's what I do. Only servers on the orange subnet anywise.

Note, you can add your orange server(s) to the 'hosts' list with it's
(orange subnet) address, so that computers on the green network can get
it's address via dhcp/dns and access it via its private (orange subnet)
address. Make sure that dhcp is configured to specify the ipcop itself
as the dns resolver for your green subnet.

I'm not sure how blue does this. I don't use blue myself. Instead, I
have my wireless router attached to my orange subnet. This prohibits any
wireless devices from accessing my green subnet. I think blue is
designed more for if/when you have a WAP (wireless card) on the IPCop
host itself.

--
-Eric 'shubes'