9.04 netbook remix ?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:35:47 MST 2009

I have an eeePC 1000 that came with the xandros derivative which I dumped
within 24 hours.  I tried a couple of different things but did not like the
NBR.  I had easypeasy next on the list to try but was happy with eeebuntu.
It has been very solid and got everything both working and controllable.

I did not know they had issues with 9.04 and actually upgraded last night.
There was a problem during the upgrade which was kind of messy to fix.
Basicly it had a dependency problem with libc6-dev dependency on libc6 which
was apparently not installed at that time.  I ended up having to do this:

larry at damselfish:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
> [sudo] password for larry:
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> correct the problem.
> larry at damselfish:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6-dev:
>  libc6-dev depends on libc6 (= 2.9-4ubuntu6); however:
>   Package libc6 is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing libc6-dev (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  libc6-dev
> larry at damselfish:~$ sudo apt-get install libc6
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>   libc6-i686: PreDepends: libc6 (= 2.8~20080505-0ubuntu9) but 2.9-4ubuntu6
> is to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
> larry at damselfish:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>   libmono-zeroconf1.0-cil podsleuth libflickrnet2.1.5-cil libtaglib2.0-cil
> wodim
>   libboo2.0-cil libavahi1.0-cil brasero libnotify0.4-cil
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
>   libc6 libc6-i686
> Suggested packages:
>   glibc-doc
>   libc6 libc6-i686
> 2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 952 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/5717kB of archives.
> After this operation, 332kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 82253 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.8~20080505-0ubuntu9 (using
> .../libc6_2.9-4ubuntu6_i386.deb) ...
> Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
> Checking init scripts...
> Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> Replacing files in old package belocs-locales-bin ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Setting up libc6 (2.9-4ubuntu6) ...
> Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/glibc.sh ...
> Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
> Checking init scripts...
>
> Restarting services possibly affected by the upgrade:
>   rsync: stopping...starting...done.
>   cron: stopping...starting...done.
>   atd: stopping...starting...done.
>
> Services restarted successfully.
>
> Processing triggers for libc6 ...
> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> (Reading database ... 82253 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace libc6-i686 2.8~20080505-0ubuntu9 (using
> .../libc6-i686_2.9-4ubuntu6_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libc6-i686 ...
> [...]

to get the upgrade to finish and now I can't turn the bloody touchpad off
though I think everything else seems ok.  I have not looked into that yet.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry