Looking for Advice on Debian Server Setup

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Apr 27 07:54:41 MST 2009

I thought I would just quote the manual to see if it makes sense to follow
it (pages 35-36):

Any directory tree which a user has write permissions to, such as e.g.
/home, /tmp
and /var/tmp/, should be on a separate partition. This reduces the risk of a
user DoS
by filling up your “/” mount point and rendering the system unusable (Note:
this is
not strictly true, since there is always some space reserved for root which
a normal user
cannot fill), and it also prevents hardlink attacks.

A very good example of this kind of attacks using /tmp is detailed in The
mysteriously persistently exploitable program (contest) (
http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20031111.html) and The myste-
riously persistently exploitable program explained (
http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/
20031214.html) (notice that the incident is Debian-related). It is basicly
an attack in which a local user stashes
away a vulnerable setuid application by making a hard link to it,
effectively avoiding any updates (or removal)
of the binary itself made by the system administrator. Dpkg was recently
fixed to prevent this (see 225692
(http://bugs.debian.org/225692)) but other setuid binaries (not controlled
by the package manager) are
at risk if partitions are not setup correctly.

Mark