Looking for Advice on Debian Server Setup

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Apr 27 06:26:39 MST 2009

I am setting up a new server for Plone/Zope sites on a Linode VPS. Reading
the "Securing Debian Manual" (
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/), it recommends
separate partitions for /tmp, /home, /opt, and /var. I was talking with some
of the Linode folks on IRC to find out how to set up separate partitions,
and they felt that it was unnecessary to have separate partitions for a
production server (regardless if it is on Linode or not).

I am interested in any opinions on the subject from this list.

Thanks!

Mark