OT: Failure of Cox, Google, IMAP and port 993?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Apr 26 22:25:25 MST 2009

Verify from command line that you can telnet on port 993 from your servers
to google apps mail servers.

If you cannot get a telnet via port 993 through, do a traceroute via port on
the command line.

Verify that the timeouts are not DNS related.  Did you change your domain
templates recently?

Drop the output of that command into an email and send to both your provider
and the mail support administrator.

Can you test your DNS and ports successfully via this tool:

http://www.spamportal.com/resources/dns_mail_utilities.htm

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> This morning our email clients could no longer reach our Goggle Apps
> mail accounts.  Connection to the Google server is via IMAP to
> imap.gmail.com on port 993.  Mail applications simply time out
> reaching the server.
>
> Cox support claims it's not their problem.  Google gives support via
> forums.  Had a couple of ideas from them but no success yet[1].  We
> can use the web interface but that is less than ideal.
>
> Has anyone else been having this problem?  Is there a way to get to
> knowledgeable people at Cox or Google?
>
> Alan

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand