FF3 (Firefox) issue? (was: Re: How to [...] users after a reinstall?)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 24 11:20:07 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 10:56 -0700, Mike Schwartz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com>
> wrote:
>         Well, I just SOLVED my Firefox problem by uninstalling FF3 and
>         installing FF2. FF2 works fine. FF3 just does not work on my
>         system.

> Is there some known explanation here -- some
> difference [?] between those two FF versions,
> that is the reason why FF3 would not work here?
> (where FF2 "works fine")?
>

> I am curious, (partly); but, also:
> this might be an item to be reported to the developers.
> Whatever is going on here, might be "news" to them...
>

> and,
> if
>    they are told about it,
> then
>    they can keep it in mind (/consider it), for a possible
>    future "enhancement" (or bug-fixing?) "code change"
>

> Just a suggestion.
----
probably a waste of time but if he wants to report, he may find out the problem.

Most distributions tie in a specific version of FF because there are
other dependencies, perhaps pango, xulrunner, etc. - so it's not always
just a case of build the single package.

Most problems with FF seem to be caused by the proliferation of
'add-ons' or 'plugins' which are of various quality and various
compatibility levels between FF2 and FF3 so it becomes a track down job.

Generally the simplest thing to do to have a working FF is to use the
one that is packaged with the Linux distribution that you are using and
I suspect that by various things that Joseph has stated, that whatever
he is using is somewhat older.

Craig

believed to be clean.