wireless problem

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:12:04 MST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm having a problem connecting with encryption enabled.
>
> My setup is a Desktop and a Dell latitude laptop both running Ubuntu
> 8.04 and both running wicd (at the moment). The desktop is hard wired to
> the Linksys WRT54GL router.

So the desktop is not involved in wireless in any way except that you use it
to change settings on the router/AP.  It should not be affected by any of
the wireless setings including encryption.  Though one might wonder why you
are running wicd on the desktop if it has a wired connection to the router.

> If I configure the router with the web based
> utility and don't enable encryption I can connect and access everything
> on the net with no problem.

As expected and I presume it is true for both machines.  Though you don't
say which, only the laptop should be affected so I presume that is what you
are reporting.

> If I go back and enable wpa or wpa2 and
> save, the connection is dropped.

Again, this should only happen on the laptop.

> When I try to reconnect the error
> message says that "this network requires encryption to be enabled" even
> though the network is detected as having wpa or wpa2 encryption. Opening
> advanced settings on wicd shows encryption to be enabled.

I have seen where the wireless network connection needs to be deleted so it
can be "rediscovered" in order to have it ask you for the new passphrase
instead of just failing with the old settings.  You might try that.  So on
the laptop, go into the network setup, select the wireless connection and
delete it. Now let the laptop re-discover your wireless signal and it should
again ask you for the passphrase.

> I tried
> entering a random string as a pass phrase

when I set up the encryption

Huh?  While you might choose a random passphrase when you change settings on
the router, you must match it exactly when you input it on the laptop there
is no automatic discovery as there were with early versions of WEP.  Someone
stomp on this if I am mis-speaking.

> and also tried letting the configuration automatically do it, both with
> no luck.

If you are talking about the easy setup software that came with the
router/AP, you must be taling about doing this in Windows as I don't think
Linksys provides Linux setup software.

> Also, even when I connect unsecured, the desktop won't connect.
>
> At this point I am beginning to look at the block wall in my back yard
> and wonder if I can put the router through it.
>
> Any help *greatly* appreciated.
>
> --
> Bob Holtzman

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry