wireless problem

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Apr 19 14:27:05 MST 2009

I'm having a problem connecting with encryption enabled.

My setup is a Desktop and a Dell latitude laptop both running Ubuntu
8.04 and both running wicd (at the moment). The desktop is hard wired to
the Linksys WRT54GL router. If I configure the router with the web based
utility and don't enable encryption I can connect and access everything
on the net with no problem. If I go back and enable wpa or wpa2 and
save, the connection is dropped. When I try to reconnect the error
message says that "this network requires encryption to be enabled" even
though the network is detected as having wpa or wpa2 encryption. Opening
advanced settings on wicd shows encryption to be enabled. I tried
entering a random string as a pass phrase when I set up the encryption
and also tried letting the configuration automatically do it, both with
no luck.

Also, even when I connect unsecured, the desktop won't connect.

At this point I am beginning to look at the block wall in my back yard
and wonder if I can put the router through it.

Any help *greatly* appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman