CentOS 5.3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 1 23:35:36 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 22:52 -0700, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> I thought that was the point of an RMP based package manager, if you
> manually install the package it still checks for dependencies and puts the
> package in the list.  However installing from a downloaded RPM usually means
> you could not find it in your repositories and thus updates are not
> maintained in those repositories and thus not updated by yum which looks at
> those repositories.
>
> Did I get that right?
----
sort of...

anything installed by rpm will be listed in rpm package database and
would be reported by various commands that list packages.

Yum is a system that downloads/installs/updates typically from
repositories but yum is capable of 'localinstall' which will
additionally use configured repositories to install dependent packages
simultaneously with the local rpm package.

There are sometimes reasons to install rpm packages manually even if
they are in repositories...perhaps you download the source rpm and
rebuild it for non-standard features, perhaps you don't want it to run
the scripts that are associated with the package installation, etc.

Craig

believed to be clean.