ot: browser

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:32:31 MST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I have to say the timing is good, as FF3 is pretty dismal.  I want to
> switch back to FF2, but don't know of any easy way.
>   Chrome is an important technology because it will facilitate web based
> competitors to things like Office.  If you've ever used GWT, its really
> quite easy to develop rich applications.  Pretty soon, it won't make a lick
> of difference if you are running windows or linux... but fear not the end of
> days are not upon us, this means that instead the battleground will shift to
> the browser and related technologies.  You will see 'webbooks' and similar
> appliances become dirt cheap as google drives the development of web-based
> productivity apps.  MSFT is currently losing on all fronts (maybe they
> should try free food).  So much for all the dependable people who claimed
> 'MSFT is too big to fail' as little as 2 years ago.  I'm quite sure Yahoo
> will factor into this in interesting ways, their efforts have been somewhat
> interesting lately.
>
>   btw- your observations on the office logo, very interesting!  -jmz

  oh and BTW- the name of the browser is delightfully Microsoft-esque as
well, for those who have never dealt in Mozilla arcana, 'Chrome' is a term
for locally running XUL applications.  I doubt that this confusion is
unintentional, this is something MSFT does quite regularly (ie. .NET ).  Now
when I type in 'Chrome' into the search engine, what is the chance I will
find something related to Mozilla?

  -jmz