ISP Infedelity / Touchy-Feelly Photons

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Oct 26 10:33:34 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, der.hans wrote:
> Am 26. Okt, 2008 schwätzte Tuna so:
>> I don't know which ISP is the least evil and corrupt around here,

Common problem.  They're all evil and corrupt, but some of them are less evil
than others.

> I would recommend a DSL line from the telco if you can get decent DSL
> service, but use Deru as the ISP. Using FastQ as the ISP would also be
> good. Both are locally owned. Both Deru and FastQ should allow you to run
> whatever services you want as long as they're legal and not spam. DSL won't
> be as fast as cable,

That was my experience.  I had Deru as an ISP (Qworst as wire carrier) for
about a year.  The only problems I had were when they installed Revenue
Enhancement Devices at a nearby intersection, and I had 3 "yeah, it's a wire
problem" reports in 2 months.  Deru's a good ISP and will let you run
whatever and will give you a static IP if you pay them a bit more.  However,
my job is now paying for my Cox at Work connection, so I moved my Apache/Postfix
stuff to a slicehost.  Paying $20/month instead of $60, for a faster
connection?  Works for me!

--
   I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.
   To the lions.  --Brian Kantor