ISP Infedelity / Touchy-Feelly Photons

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Sun Oct 26 00:08:29 MST 2008

Hello there!

First thing in the subject line comes first. My parents are looking to
dump the Coxload of manure that is our ISP, phone, and cable provider.
We are replacing the phone service with Qwest (I almost spelled it
correctly just now :/), the cable with DirectTV, and the internet
provider with... lolwut?

They're not sure on the internet service, but I'll be the only one using
it, so they are leaving the decision up to me. However, I don't know
which ISP is the least evil and corrupt around here, so I ask you: what
internet service provider would YOU recommend?

The reason my parents won't be using it is because of some demonic force
that causes our wireless network to be completely unreliable without
love or compassion. I don't know why, but we just can't get a signal
downstairs. We even bought a wireless signal bouncer and put it up in
what would seem like the perfect spot for it to be (on a ledge
overlooking the downstairs, where it may spread the joyous cheer that is
the Internet to all who are below), but we absolutely can not connect to
the network from downstairs. I have found that if I walk up to right
next to the wireless bouncer and have my laptop try connecting again,
and then once it's connected, walk back down to where it wouldn't work
before, I am able to maintain that signal for a while.

The parents then found out that they can use their Blackberries as
wireless modems, so they started doing that thing. It has been very
reliable for them.

The only reason for switching would be cost, but we don't want to pay
less for something if it's just going to be unreliable and nasty. I'm
looking for something that won't throttle my torrents or anything like that.

In the other half of the subject, I am currently looking for a
projector. As I have told some of you, I am going to build my very own
Microsoft-Surface-like-but-not-cuz-it-runs-Linux multitouch table. I
need the projector because a regular monitor wouldn't really work. See:
http://nuigroup.com/wiki/Hardware_List/

My budget is... very low, and I expect to start on this project... not
soon. :P But if you have a projector that you would like to sell me,
plzing to respond to this off-list and I would be happy to discuss
prices. If you want to give it to me for free, then you can be my new
best friend.

That was a long one...

Thanks!
-tuna