Easy Wine+IE6 setup (was Re: FW: On topic message about Off topic messages Various Solutions) URI Exploits

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Oct 2 19:04:43 MST 2008

The only practical uses for IE6 that I have found are testing browser CSS or Javascript, Extended Validation Certificates, and of course,  email filtering maintenance in Sharepoint and Outlook.

I haven't found anything that even touches 1/2 of what FireBug, Web Development, NoScript, Flickr or the other great plugins available for FireFox 3.0 provides for IE!

Opera is a nice browser and will work, unlike FireFox 3, with Silverlight and some of the web site live conferencing sites that are still broken (ah, I mean "URI secure").  Opera is a fine phone browser BTW, if you run your own applications on a PDA.

Firefox 3.0 now protects systems from URI handling exploits (which allow a computer to be completely taken over via browser in Firefox 2.0.0.5 and/or Explorer (especially when installed together in a Microsoft box via "chrome" see  http://www.metasploit.com).

These exploits were especially insidious since they often began through a simple trip to a website, and are nearly impossible to track back to the source when XSS proxy exploits are included (which show only the packet traffic to the Apache system with the XSS holes - like Google or another famous public site everyone frequents.  These dangerous exploits are still in place [even to the point of allowing for control of your internal DSL routers - seeing all of your protected cache, passwords and browser history]) so everyone should immediately upgrade their older Linux Firefox to 3.0!  Generally, all you would have seen would have been a File Not Found after a pause, as the nice encrypted tunnel over port 80/443 sets up to announce you everytime you come online to the attacker irregardless of your DHCP address.

Sometimes, it's just easier to buy a nice DHCP key, move off your files and rebuild under a nice Fedora 9 or Ubuntu - and get all the newest features as well?

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Obnosis || http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/obnosis | Obnosis.com (503)754-4452