Hallmark E cards attack

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 08:55:17 MST 2008

Hi,

I use AVAST BART cd for my recovery. It's not a full XP live cd, only boots
to a minimal 98 or so install, no start menu or anything; it provides a cmd
prompt with check disk and such, and AVAST AV, and some other disk utils,
including a registry editor.

Of course it's neither free nor Free... :(

~Ryan

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Charles Jones <
charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:

> I gave him a copy of a bootcd that I found somewhere some time ago,
> "UBCD4WIN". It boots a live-cd of WindowsXP from a CD, and also contains
> various anti-virus and anti-spyware tools and utilities. So you boot
> from the CD and since its a liveCD you can safely connect to the network
> and update the AV signatures before doing a scan and clean. Pretty handy
> for fixing winblows issues.
>
> -Charles
>
> Stephen wrote:
> > a bootable AV screen is probably going to be needed, you may find some
> > specific tools on mcaffe and symantec sites.
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Charles Jones
> > <charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:
> >
> >> What all is involved in the fix? One of my co-workers apparently got his
> >> laptop zapped by it. From what he said it infects the winlogon.exe, so
> not
> >> only do you have to clean the virus from loading, but you have to
> replace
> >> the winlogin.exe with a known good copy.  What a pain. Personally I
> cannot
> >> believe that any mail filters still allow .exe file attachments, or that
> >> people would actually run a .exe file they received in email!

Thanks and best regards,
Ryan Rix
TamsPalm - The PalmOS Blog
(623)-239-1103 <-- Grand Central, baby!

Jasmine Bowden - Class of 2009, Marc Rasmussen - Class of 2008, Erica
Sheffey - Class of 2009, Rest in peace.