Is anybody having display issues with the latest Kubuntu ?

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Fri Nov 21 08:24:54 MST 2008

kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
> At first I thought: "well...   Those #$&% Nvidia drivers..."
> But then I saw it happening with ATI boards.
> Anecdotally I can say that I have seen it happening in just about each and
> everyone of the 15-something computers (desktops and laptops) that I have
> installed Kubuntu onto.
>
> And it SUCKS...    :(
>
> Mostly with Firefox, but also with Konsole and other applications, suddenly
> the display inside a particular window quits (it goes black)...
> After resizing it a random amount of times (but mostly after shrinking it)
> the display comes back alive and well.

Is this related to scrolling? I have a problem with scrolling on my Dell
notebook running Ubuntu. It actually only happens when connected to an
external monitor, and then _usually_ only if I forget to turn on the
external monitor until after it's booted. Any window that scrolls goes
black in the scrolled portion. The window redraws itself correctly if I
minimize and restore, or if I move another window in front of it
temporarily. Restarting the X server does not help. The only cure for
this maddening condition is to reboot.

Vaughn