Is anybody having display issues with the latest Kubuntu ?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 23:08:48 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:10 PM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com
<kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
> At first I thought: "well...   Those #$&% Nvidia drivers..."
> But then I saw it happening with ATI boards.
> Anecdotally I can say that I have seen it happening in just about each and
> everyone of the 15-something computers (desktops and laptops) that I have
> installed Kubuntu onto.
>
> And it SUCKS...    :(
>
> Mostly with Firefox, but also with Konsole and other applications, suddenly
> the display inside a particular window quits (it goes black)...
> After resizing it a random amount of times (but mostly after shrinking it)
> the display comes back alive and well.
>
> Keyboard and mouse input are taken (at least some times) cuz you can see
> some reactions after the display comes back, but it is ungodly ANNOYING!!!
>
> Is anybody experiencing something like that, or is it the little gnome
> following me again with the camera and laughing at my expenses?
>
> I mean, it would be funny...
> If it wasn't happening to me...   :(
> ET

I am using 8.10 in a few places.  One was upgraded from 8.04, one is a
clean install, and one is a wubi install in the xp of what was a dual
boot xp and vista box.  Two of those three are using nvidia cards (not
new ones).  I have seen some odd issues but not what you describe.
And most of the odd issues I attribute to using it with an ANCIENT
projector.  The others seem to be oddness that happened during
install/upgrade  and went away once video drivers were stable.

On the other hand, I noticed a fair numbers of video issues on the
ubuntu forums.

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and