December HackFest = [Remote] (Hamachi) Second Saturday Noon - 3:00

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Nov 17 13:36:18 MST 2008

We will be taking December's HackFest to remote networking via Hamaci with various remote chat/camera room tools.

As usual, targets and new presentation material will be provided (along with STRONG hints).

Again this is a not a "hacking demonstration".  No-one is going to teach you how to "hack".  Instead it's a practical lab for demonstrating the Linux computer security issues, capabilities, and defenses available from various Distros.

Our focus is OSI Layer 1 up - with examples of network attack vectors and defense, so a remote session is going to be exceptionally interesting.  While our material does cover issues of interest to Linux Engineers, Administrators, Security Professionals and users, as well as reverse engineering students, it's not focused primarily upon web systems or application OSI Layer down security.  We suggest you contact OWASP.org for indepth web/application security.

We are currently using the BackTrack 3 Linux tools distro to discover and present the ease of use of exploitation, see log examples post exploit, and discuss defenses.
Our focus is IDS/Honeypots, Encroachment and Information Gathering and covers most Linux services.

Announcements will continue until December, whereupon access procedures will be disseminated again so all can prepare well.

http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Install_on_Linux#Listing_Peers

All participants of the PLUG HackFests agree to hack ethically rather than aggressively; everyone is regularly admonished of legal consequences for misuse and professional conduct.  All will be required to sign a disclaimer at each event.

We welcome presentations = please contact me should you wish to showcase security for the PLUG.

Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obnosis (503)754-4452