Upgrading Kubuntu

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 12:14:50 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Jon M. Hanson <jon at the-hansons-az.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:20:43PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Jon M. Hanson <jon at the-hansons-az.net> wrote:
>> > I've been using Linux for a long time and recently I've been playing
>> > around with Kubuntu. I'm currently running 8.04 with the KDE 4 Remix and
>> > wanted to do the online upgrade to 8.10. From the instructions on the
>> > website it says to do:
>> >
>> > kdesudo "adept_manager --dist-upgrade"
>> >
>> > I expect to get the package installer coming up with the "Version
>> > Upgrade" button. The package manager starts but there is no "Version
>> > Upgrade" button.
>> >
>> > The instructions on the website are pretty straightforward so I don't
>> > think I've missed anything but it's not behaving as expected.
>> >
>> > What am I doing wrong?

>> 8.04 is an LTS version and as such has updates to "normal" releases
>> turned off.  Just go into your software sources, assuming it is called
>> that in KDE land, and on the update tab go to the list box at the
>> bottom and change it from LTS only to Normal.
>>
>> That said, I have no clue whether the remix upgrades normally.
>
> This is what I have on the "Updates" tab in "Software Sources":
>
> - Important security updates (checked)
> - Recommended updates (checked)
> - Pre-released updates (unchecked)
> - Unsupported updates (unchecked)
> - Check for Updates: Daily (checked)
>
> There isn't something exactly like you describe (changing something from
> LTS to Normal). The closest thing would be the "Unsupported updates" but
> that doesn't seem really right either.

I don't have the KDE 4 remix loaded anywhere to check this.  Perhaps
someone else does.

I doubt the KDE folks removed this safeguard from the LTS version
unless they, quite possibly, removed its LTS status by doing the
remix.  So you might look further for the list box I mentioned and if
you still do not find it I would assume they did remove the LTS
status.

The web page you referred to probably told you tyo do two things
before issuing kdesudo "adept_manager --dist-upgrade" and perhaps you
did them.  But since you did not say so, I suggest you go back to that
page and be sure that you do two things first:

1. Get 8.04 completely updated, and
2. change your listed repositories from Hardy to Intrepid before doing
the dist-upgrade

If that is not the problem I am stumped for now without a system to look at

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and