Ruby Found a Clue!... Or did It?

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Thu Nov 6 10:54:27 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:
> I am currently at my grandmother's house. We played a game of Clue last
> night, and I found that I can win rather easily using just a simple
> spreadsheet. This was cool, but why not implement it in code?
>
> So I broke out my favorite IDE/editor (Geany) and got to work. I have much
> of it written, and I will offer it under some sort of Free Software
> license when I'm done.
>
> I haz a question though. Would this count as artificial intelligence? And
> if so, how would I design a turing test for it? I mean [...]

> Would this count as artificial intelligence?

I am not sure where they draw the line.
Some folks would consider a robot that could play
tic-tac-toe (the simple 3x3 kind)
(not the 3-dimensional or even "3+"-dimensional versions)
to be an example of AI;
others would say, that even the computers that can now
play chess pretty well against grandmaster human players,
are not AI, they are just very good at playing chess.

Personally, my memory is a little vague about how
complex the game of Clue is.
If I have ever played it, it was a long time ago.
It is probably not as simple as (3x3) tic-tac-toe, but
I think if a spreadsheet can do it,
it sounds like it must be way simpler than chess (or, Go).
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org