OT: [maybe] What does one want to happen? (was: Re: right on the edge...)

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:19:54 MST 2008

Why don't we just have a dingdang seperate group???

I know it's been offered, sth like plug-politics or something. Just keep
that crap off plug-discuss.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Mike Schwartz <schwartz at acm.org> wrote:

> > Put down some rules for once? Keep it Linux/Unix and OSS oriented?
>
> I agree that we might have to start some (very informal, UN-official)
> rules.
>
> > Keep it Linux/Unix and OSS oriented?
>
> That is VERY open to interpretation.
> HENCE I think, maybe we should draw the line at, [saying that:]
> *once* a given thread,
> (such as today's post-election steam-venting thread)
> has substantially MORE plug members
> requesting the "off-topic" folks to "please" STFU,
> than the number of ["off-topic"] posters who do still want to continue,
> (counted by number of individuals,
>    where one person posting N >> 1 times,
>    no matter how many times they posted,
>    still only counts as one "vote")
> *then*
> the "verdict" should be, that the
>    "posters who want to continue",
> need to take it off-line -- either create a new forum on
> yahoogroups.com for themselves (it can be done free)
> (I have done it before),
> or else move to some other mailing list,
> (at least for that particular thread)
> or just e-mail each other, off-list,
> or actually quiet down --
> that is,
> ** don't post **
> (/slash, move on to some other topic).
>
> I understand that "my" advice also might
> not be, what everyone agrees with 100%.
> So, this has been, my 0.02,
> --
> Mike Schwartz
> Glendale  AZ
> schwartz at acm.org
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Tony E - Jaraeth
> <jaraeth at phoenixwing.com> wrote:
> >
> > Put down some rules for once? Keep it Linux/Unix and OSS oriented?  it's
> > the "Phoenix *LINUX* Users Group" after all.  I'm all for free speech,
> > but every organization has rules under its belt to promote and benefit
> > that groups goals.  Political agenda has no place here unless it is
> > related to Linux/Unix and OSS in my opinion.
> >
> > One more inch toward unsubscribing from this crap...
> >
> >  Tony E
> >  "Raptus regaliter"
> >  jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
> >  http://www.phoenixwing.com/
> >

> > Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> > >
> > >   what do you want to happen?  -jmz
> > >
> > > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com
> > > <mailto:tuna at supertunaman.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     I am seriously tempted not to participate in any PLUG mailing lists
> if
> > >     something isn't done about all this.
> > >
> > >     > I am right on the edge here, there's only so much you can hold
> back
> > >     > when rhetoric is hitting your last nerve and it's unethical to
> > >     respond
> > >     > because it goes against the the very social order your attempting
> > >     > preserve. (this group that is)
> > >     >
> > >     > Does it really require filters and unsubscribing to not hear
> this,
> > >     > even after requested by a nominal number of people have
> [...]

Thanks and best regards,
Ryan Rix
TamsPalm - The PalmOS Blog

Jasmine Bowden - Class of 2009, Marc Rasmussen - Class of 2008, Erica
Sheffey - Class of 2009, Rest in peace.