OT: [maybe] What does one want to happen? (was: Re: right on the edge...)

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Wed Nov 5 20:42:26 MST 2008

> Put down some rules for once? Keep it Linux/Unix and OSS oriented?

I agree that we might have to start some (very informal, UN-official) rules.

> Keep it Linux/Unix and OSS oriented?

That is VERY open to interpretation.
HENCE I think, maybe we should draw the line at, [saying that:]
*once* a given thread,
(such as today's post-election steam-venting thread)
has substantially MORE plug members
requesting the "off-topic" folks to "please" STFU,
than the number of ["off-topic"] posters who do still want to continue,
(counted by number of individuals,
    where one person posting N >> 1 times,
    no matter how many times they posted,
    still only counts as one "vote")
*then*
the "verdict" should be, that the
    "posters who want to continue",
need to take it off-line -- either create a new forum on
yahoogroups.com for themselves (it can be done free)
(I have done it before),
or else move to some other mailing list,
(at least for that particular thread)
or just e-mail each other, off-list,
or actually quiet down --
that is,
** don't post **
(/slash, move on to some other topic).

I understand that "my" advice also might
not be, what everyone agrees with 100%.
So, this has been, my 0.02,
--
Mike Schwartz