DNS lookup fails connecting to server on same network

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:52:24 MST 2008

Hi,

/etc/resolv.conf is apparently using different nameservers primarily than I
thought...

root at wanton:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain phnx.qwest.net
search phnx.qwest.net
nameserver 63.208.196.113
nameserver 63.208.196.114
nameserver 192.168.0.1
root at wanton:~# nslookup wanton.dyndns.org 63.208.196.113
Server:         63.208.196.113
Address:        63.208.196.113#53

** server can't find wanton.dyndns.org.phnx.qwest.net: REFUSED

root at wanton:~# nslookup wanton.dyndns.org 63.208.196.114
Server:         63.208.196.114
Address:        63.208.196.114#53

** server can't find wanton.dyndns.org.phnx.qwest.net: REFUSED

Which leads me to believe that I have.... sth wrong :) I have *no* idea why
they are concatenated together like that....phnx.qwest.net seems to be the
external dns, or the domain, but why it's appended to the host during
nslookups is beyond me....

> even try appending a period/dot ( . ) after the name to denote it as a
> FQDN absolutely.
Where, in the browser/ssh/etc?

--
Thanks and best regards,