VOIP, SIP phones

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Nov 2 20:26:52 MST 2008

You basically need a client that will allow SIP to SIP calls outside their network (Skype does not do this):

VOIP "softphone" clients for SIP and IAX2 are available that can easily be dropped into Asterisk/Trixbox for instance.

You can get an AXVOICE PSTN SIP unlimited gateway or trunk [to make calls to people with cell phones and copper phones] (which includes a free Grandstream 286 ATA [hardware device you configure to plug in a phone [more expensive models include a network port for more than one system with the RJ11)]) that can be configured
for Asterisk/Trixbox or a VOIP Client on your desktop, for like $9.00 a
month.  http://www.axvoice.com
BEWARE - these don't all do what you might need - read features carefully before choosing one.
Soft Phones (Open Source)
Where the software source code is available for users to use, redistribute and modify.
Model DescriptionActXPhone An ActiveX-Control SIP Softphone.BonePhone Linux SIP softphone in Java.Ekiga SIP, H.323 audio and video softphone for various unices.GnomeMeeting H.323 SIP in beta , OpenSource VoIP/Video software for Unix ( win32 coming ... ).IAXComm IAX2 softphone for Windows, Linux & MacOSX using IAXClient.JsPhone Java SIP softphone with video support.Kiax IAX softphone for Linux using QT (runs well also on GNOME), ported to Windows (QT4).KPhone SIP softphone for KDE.Linphone Video softphone for Linux and Windows using osip stack.minisip Softphone for Linux with support for additional security features.Mobile IAX IAX softphone.MozPhone IAX addon. Text and URL support, and manager interface. http://moziax.mozdev.org>MozIAXOpenPhone OpenH323.OpenWengo .OpenZoep Softphone engine.Peers Minimalist SIP softphone written in Java. Tested on Linux and Windows. ITU G.711.PhoneGaim Linux and Windows softphone with instant messaging, SIP.SFLphone Multiplatform softphone from Savoir-faire Linux, SIP, IAX.Shtoom SIP softphone written in Python. Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux.SIP Communicator SIP Java based softphone.sipXphone SIP softphone from SIPfoundry, previously known as the Pingtel phone.sipXezPhone "sipX easy phone", a SIP softphone bassed on sipXtapi.Twinkle SIP softphone for Linux.wxCommunicator SIP Windows, C++, based on sipXtapi.YakaPhone Simple, skinnable IAX/IAX2 and SIP softphone from YakaSoftware.ZiaxPhone SIP and IAX softphone for the Sharp Zaurus PDA.

Soft Phones (free, not Open Source)
Soft Phones in this category should be completly free to use and not bound to only one or a few providers.

 3CX VOIP Phone for Windows Free SIP / VOIP phone for Windows
 Cubix: IAX and SIP)P Protocol support for Windows.
 ((DIAX: IAX protocol softphone, iax1/2 vb client
 Diamondcard.us Softphone IAX Worlds first IAX softphone with a flash interface. Private label available. Easy install.
 ENUM RTC Softphone Windows Softphone with ENUM support
 Express Talk Softphone - Express Talk SIP Softphone for Windows (free)
 http://www.globaliptel.com X-TAPI lite/Pro: TAPI-based SIP Softphone for MS Windows. 9,95 EUR. Also has a free soft phone.
 iaxLite: IAX softphone with AU-100 USB phone set support.
 Idefisk: IAX2
and SIP freeware softphone for the Windows / Linux / MacOS platform
with a focus on small size, small memory footprint and high quality.
 JackenIAX:IAX2 Softphone for Macintosh Mac OS X 10.4.
 MCE SIP Phone A SIP softphone for Windows XP
 MizuPhone A new fully featured and costumizable softphone with G729 codec
 PacPhone Secure Nat-Aware H.323 PBX softphone, Native Nat GnuGK, STUN/UPnP(symmetric) AES256 Encryption,PBX,VoiceMail,USB phones
 Phoner Windows SIP softphone (also supports ISDN cards)
 PhonerLite Windows SIP softphone
 Raketu Voice, DialOut, All messengers, Media Player, SMS, RSS, IPTV/VOD, (Communication, Information, Entertainment)
 sipc: SIP ua for WIndows, Solaris & Linux. Includes support for Video & Whiteboard
 sipLite SIP softphone with G729 codec.
 SIPPS Free: Free lite version of SIPPS
 SJphone: SIP, H.323. Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Pocket PC.
 Tpad - The Global VoIP Network Free PC Softphone / Dialler for Windows 98/ME/2000/VISTA, SIP softphone with G711 codec.
 Voix Phone Free IAX/AX2 Softphone for Windows, Linux & MacOSX.
 Zoiper IAX / IAX2 and SIP softphone, g729 (optional), customization packages, various features; for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
 PCBest Network:
An Free SIP ActiveX Control to download. It can be used in IE or Other
Windows application. It support multipul audio codecs and NAT, STUN.
 Zultys phones: SIP softphone for Linux - basic free, extra features chargeable

Why pay for Skype's P2P propritary PSTN minutes?
[Note Beware the "extra charges" on the "free phones" - they usually include PSTN trunk call fees!]