PDF is a standard?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat May 24 19:45:59 MST 2008

PDF is an "ad hoc" standard right now.  It is on the path to being an
official standard (ISO 32000) but it's not there yet.  Honestly, saying
it's not a standard because it doesn't have an ISO code attached to it
is nit-picking to an extreme.

Adobe has always released the specifications of PDF and anybody is free
to implement it.  Yes, Adobe does charge for their Acrobat Professional
suite, but it's hardly required.  There are scads of PDF-capable apps
out there.  Heck, OS X works with PDF as a native subsystem.  In no
cases do you have to pay any sort of royalty or sign any agreement with
Adobe to implement it.

To sum:
1. Specification widely available... Check
2. Anybody can implement the spec royalty and patent free (now that the
LZW patent has expired)... Check
3. Documents in PDF format are pervasively and inescapably common... Check
4. A multitude of 3rd party reader and writers for PDF... Check

If that's not a standard, then we have very different ideas on what a
standard is. :-)