Sound for OSS apps like Quake, Skype, Gizmo and VMWare and a quick rant

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Fri May 23 13:34:26 MST 2008

I've noticed a lot of conversation regarding sound problems on a few of the
lists I participate on and thought I might give a shout out on a little
known, but very handy application: "joss" (formerly q3jack) which I host on
behalf of the author: http://www.craknet.net/joss

It is similar to "aoss" but works with the jackd audio connection kit, and I
find it handles MMAP much better than the other solutions. I can use
multiple sound inputs and they actually work. Mostly I leverage it so I can
use my headset for teamspeak and play quake at the same time (
http://www.urbanterror.net)

On a similar note, I have a quick rant/question...can anyone provide a
reason WHY developers continue to build apps to use OSS when its known to be
an epic piece of sh*t?

Cheers.

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM, <storkus at storkus.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:34:52 -0700, "Matt Graham"
> <danceswithcrows at usa.net> said:
> > After a long battle with technology, der.hans wrote:
> > > Am 19. Mai, 2008 schwatzte storkus at storkus.com so:
> WINE
> > > I'm always trying to find gaming info for *NIX. I discovered atanks
> last
> > > week, but doubt it'd fit real gaming cravings.
> >
> <snipping emulator stuff>
>
> I guess I should've been more specific.  I'm not looking at playing
> console stuff, but I appreciate the info for possible future use!
>
> Right now, the programs are based on the Quake engines, specifically
> Urban Terror running ioquake3 and Enemy Territory:Quake Wars running
> on the Quake 4 engine.  id software makes all their engines available
> natively on Linux, which is one reason why I've been playing them.
> There are many game SERVERS running on FreeBSD out there, but I'm
> having a hard time finding client info.  If it wasn't for Darwin, I'd
> say a Mac binary would work, but I'm sure it won't.
>
> > Wine is hit-or-miss.  If you have a specific program you want to run,
> > it's
> > always best to check it out at winehq.com and see if it can be made to
> > work
> > without major hassle.  Wine *still* can't run Progress Quest without
> > graphical glitches (sigh).
>
> Oh yes, I know.  In my case it would be one of the Valve games (Half
> Life,
> Counter Strike, Team Fortress, etc) most likely.  Again, though, the
> problem here is not whether the game will work with Wine, but whether
> Wine will get along with FreeBSD.

> use
> > > Yup. Everything does at this point. The kernel is too big to boot if
> you
> > > don't put some stuff in modules.
> >
> > It's easy to put together a kernel that doesn't require an initrd.  It's
> > just
> > that that kernel will only boot on a very limited subset of hardware.
> > One of
> > the first things I always do when installing a new distro is to get a
> > recent
> > vanilla source tarball and build a vanilla kernel that doesn't require an
> > initrd because it's got everything needed to mount / built in.  (This
> > also
> > removes bugs caused by distro patches, and typically makes it easier to
> > build
> > and use third-party kernel modules.)
>
> Total Ditto.  The problem is that I was trying to use the source
> included
> with the distro since I obviously didn't have internet access at the
> moment.
> Perhaps this is where everything bombed.  Or maybe something weird with
> the leftover modules.  My last kernel build (on my old desktop) I made
> the
> kernel non-modular, but I can't do that here because of the MadWIFI
> [...]

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes about
finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes through life."