Kubuntu 8.04 // Dell 1420 Inspiron // No sound

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Fri May 23 08:09:31 MST 2008

Quoting Rhune Lord <rhunelord at gmail.com>:

> Guys I have taken the plunge after reading Alan Daley's interview and
> I have a notebook with the following hardware but no sound.

Dumb question, but are you sure the volume is turned up?

Once I thought for several days that the sound was broken on my
laptop.  I finally discovered the somewhat-obscure sound control panel
in my XFCE desktop  which had the 'Main' volume turned up, but the
'PCM' volume turned all the way down.  (The 'simple' volume control
that I had in the system tray only showed the main volume, so I had no
idea the other existed...)  I don't know what the volume controls are
like in KDE, but it might be worth checking into.

I dragged one slider up, and all my sound started working.  Well, it
didn't start working exactly, because it had never really stopped
working, but I think you get my point.

Anyway, always good to check the simple stuff before hunting for a
more complex issue.  Along those same lines, are you sure the speakers
work?  Have you tried external speakers?  How about any volume
controls that might be built into the speakers, or the laptop?  (I
eliminated those possibilities by booting into a different OS and
hearing sound.)

alex