Partitions for Kubuntu

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat May 17 14:38:07 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Rhune Lord wrote:
> Ok, how much should I donate to /usr and /var?

However much you need.  It's easier to expand a filesystem than it is to
shrink one, so you might want to take what you're using now and add 20-30%.
I have 5G for /var (some things expand to about 1G when portage is building
them) and 6G for /usr (friends come and go, programs accumulate).

>>  If the machine isn't a dual-boot machine
> No dual boot[,] Kubuntu all the way.

You could do LVM, then.  Read the HOWTO and understand it first before you try
that, though.

> PC-BSD (and its KDE interface) and he is showing me why he believes
> [it's] better and how to write drivers.

Hm.  Typically, if you have to write drivers for hardware, the project isn't
ready for non-hobbyist use.

> my goal is to work on converting programs from Windows to Linux.

This is a difficult thing to do since so many extant programs don't have
source available, and the places that own the source are not interested in
porting.  Ah well, HTH,

--
   There is not enough coffee in the world.
   --TimC in ASR