Partitions for Kubuntu

Rhune Lord rhunelord at gmail.com
Sat May 17 11:19:03 MST 2008

Ok how much should I donate to /usr and /var?

>  1G is probably more swap than you need.  You generally want at least /
>  and /home, so that your data is separate from the OS in case you decide to
>  install a different distro.  Most of the time, you want /usr and /var on
>  separate partitions; this allows you to mount /usr read-only most of the
>  time.  Some people put /tmp , /opt, and /usr/local on separate partitions,
>  but this is probably overkill for a single-user system.
>
>  If the machine isn't a dual-boot machine

No dual boot Kubuntu all the way.  I have a Ukrainian friend that uses
PC-BSD (and its KDE interface) and he is showing me why he believes
its better and how to write drivers.  If I dont take the plunge then I
never will, my goal is to work on converting programs from Windows to
Linux.

Thanks Matt :-)

Brian