House Passes PRO IP Bill

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 09:21:25 MST 2008

I have a theory that if solar power were to take off it would become extremely cheap.  Much like what has happened with computers. ie my first DOS machine was an 8088 w/256mb RAM no hard drive and a 300 baud modem.  It cost me about $1000 with a 8pin ?? printer.  That was October 1987. Today I can get a 2 gig duo processor with all kinds of goodies for about $700.

Think if solar did the same.  A solar panel would cost dollars... or maybe cents....

Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote: Oh If I could only have a Linux-powered motorcycle engine running on solar!

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:59 AM, keith smith  wrote:
> Why not solar power?  The sun shines strong in Arizona!
>

> Mike Garfias  wrote:
>
> On May 9, 2008, at 3:39 AM, Robert N. Eaton wrote:
>> I, too, think ethanol is a remarkable fuel for racing. It burns cool,
>> it allows very high compression ratios, and it produces very high
>> specific outputs for a given capacity engine.
>>
>> BUT, it contains about one fourth as many calories as gasoline, pound
>> for pound. This means that to reach a certain power output, the engine
>> needs four times as much ethanol. One author I read stated that there
>> just isn't enough arable land in the world to support our energy habit
>> on an ethanol economy and still allow us to eat.
>>
>> Bob Eaton
>>

> Its more like 67% not 25% (23.5MJ/L vs 34.8MJ/L). You also make up
> for some of that with the efficiency boost from running higher
> compression. As a racing fuel goes, gasoline (specifically a racing
> formula high in toluene or xylene) is a better fuel than ethanol. In
> the turbocharged F1 days, they were running nearly straight toluene in
> order to run the massive boost levels that gave approximately 1000hp/
> Liter.
>
> Toluene is 114 octane, vs ethanols 116, but has a higher energy
> density. Xylene has toluene's energy density combined with 117 octane.
>
> Also, a lot of the studies that show ethanol is bad thing are based
> on a corn derived ethanol. The process is inefficient (1 unit of
> energy in gives 1.34units out). Brazil uses sugar cane derived
> ethanol which gives 8 units for every one going in. The only reason
> we're doing it with corn is because of the corn lobby and its federal
> subsidies.
>
> If they can ever get cellulosic ethanol production to ramp, all the
> left overs from farming, cutting the lawn, your old veggies, etc could
> be used.
>
> Again, ethanol isn't a bad idea, its just being done stupidly. Which
> makes me suspect that it might be done this way to tighten up the
> global food supply to raise prices and keep the US in power as the
> "world leader".

> Keith Smith
> (520) 207-9877
> PHP Programmer