Video card recommendations?

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Tue May 6 09:31:06 MST 2008

Hi,

It's been about 8 months since ATI said that they would release
specifications again and generally help out with getting a Free/Open
driver written.  According to what I was able to find on the web, the
first cards that were to be supported were the Radeon HD 2600 Pro and
the 2600XT (as well as the Mobility version, but I'm not too interested
in that right now).

It's been rather more difficult finding information about what's working
well or not than I thought it would be, so I thought I'd ask what other
people's experiences are, and if anybody knows which ATI cards seem to
work well (or at least acceptably) for both 2D and 3D, since
motherboards with an AGP slot are getting rarer. ;-)  Or if anybody can
suggest better terms on which to further search the web, I'd appreciate
that, too.

Thanks!

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step