How to open .azw or .prc (mobireader) files

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon May 5 12:35:54 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Josef Lowder wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 10:58, Matt Graham wrote
>> Check /etc/ld.so.conf and make sure that /usr/local/lib is listed in
>> that file.  That line should be standard in any ld.so.conf , but who
>> knows what Mandrake has done?  After you've added the line, rerun
>> ldconfig, then make sure that "ldd `which fbreader` " doesn't return
>> any lines that include the string "not found".
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib/qt3/lib

> So I edited ld.so.conf to add /usr/local/lib
> as you instructed, then did ldd `which FBReader`
> and got
>         libexpat.so.1 => not found
>         libbz2.so.1.0 => not found

> /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
> /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.0
> /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
>
> Hummm.  So what now?

Make a symlink /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 that points
to /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.0 .  That fixes the bz2 library.

For the expat library, I don't know for sure what you'd do since you're
running an old distro and you say you can't upgrade it.  First, see if
there's a package that matches expat-2.n for your old Mandrake.  Yes, the
library is version 1 while the version# for the package is 2.  Don't ask me.
Also, *DO NOT* uninstall the old expat, or a bunch of GNOME and KDE stuff
will break.  There is a hackaround (which works well IME) but just don't go
there.

If no expat-2 for your distro, think *REALLY HARD* about upgrading to a more
recent distro, then go to http://expat.sourceforge.net/ and get the 2.0.1
tarball, unpack it, ./configure it, make, make install, rerun ldconfig .
expat doesn't have any dependencies except for gcc and libc according to the
ebuild.

This sort of thing is standard practice when you don't keep up to date, which
is why I keep up to date.

--
  "Bother," said Pooh.  "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
  phasers on the Heffalump; Piglet, meet me in transporter room three."