drive recovery

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu May 1 10:27:18 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:24 -0700, Technomage Hawke wrote:
> Kevin (and others of the list)
> thanks for the suggestions. I've been told that this is very likely a
> hard disk HEAD crash, which would make any data on the drive nearly
> impossible to recover without spending $$$ to get at it (lowest price
> I found so far was $499.00 and it would take a week). I can see now
> why there is such big moeny in data recovery. I can do the software
> stuff easily enough, but some hardware may be out of my reach (HD
> sugery requires a class 100 clean room and I don't have $2 million to
> invest). Now, I wouldn't mind working for one of more of these places.
> they do tend to pay well and I could learn rather a lot.
----
sounds like a perfect candidate for the sharp slap between your two
hands methodology to me...desperate times call for desperate measures.

That's sort of the reason for doing backups...because hard drives do
fail.

Some of these 'data recovery' companies low ball the initial price and
then when they have the hard drive in their hands and give you the final
quote...it's substantially more money. Then when you get files back, you
often get crap or you get files amongst all the crap and sorting through
it is often not worth the time.

Craig