AZ's own Gabrielle Giffords votes to increase foreign work visas

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Mon Mar 17 05:59:37 MST 2008

keith smith wrote:
> I agree, we need to be courteous.  A few hundred phone calls to her
> office might get her thinking though.
>

> */Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>/* wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 20:10 -0700, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>      > At this point, I would suggest young americans pursue the only
>      > remaining profitable career: sleazeball politician.
>      >
>      > "there's a great future in plastics."
>      >
>      > - http://www.joshuazeidner.com/
>      >
>      >
>      > On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM, keith smith wrote:
>      > > Let's export our economy and we can all move into Gabrielle
>     Giffords house
>      > > and she can support us!
>      > >
>      > >
>      > >
>      > >
>      > > Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>      > >
>      > > Although not everyone agrees on the matter of h-1b visas, it's
>      > > important to know that Arizona's own Gabrielle Giffords is
>     playing a
>      > > role in increasing national visa caps that greatly affect
>     technology
>      > > workers in AZ and elsewhere.
>      > >
>      > > "The Innovation Employment Act, introduced by Representative
>     Gabrielle
>      > > Giffords, an Arizona Democrat, late Thursday, would increase
>     the cap
>      > > in H-1B visas from 65,000 a year to 130,000 a year. In
>     addition, there
>      > > would be no cap on H-1B applications for foreign graduate students
>      > > attending U.S. colleges and studying science, technology and
>     related
>      > > fields. Currently, there's a 20,000-a-year cap on visas for
>     graduate
>      > > students in all fields."
>     ----
>     I agree that the whole H-1b visa thing completely stinks and I presume
>     that IBM and perhaps some other corporate interests are probably the
>     motivation for this.
>
>     I agree that the corporate interests have way too much influence in
>     politics.
>
>     I don't agree that this is the place to start calling politicians
>     'sleazeballs' simply because they have taken a position probably
>     contrary to most people here.
>
>     Craig

I'll be happy to call Giffords a sleazeball.  First of all, the
Democrats are allegedly supposed to be looking out for the common
people. This proves they're (or at least, Giffords is) as bad as the
Republicans as far as sucking up to the giant corporations. 2nd of all,
the H1-B visa is a form of indentured servitude that  ties workers to
their employer (the alternative is deportation) that seriously undercuts
the wages of American engineers. It would be 100% better to admit those
130,000 engineers as permanent residents, with no strings attached.
There's no shortage of engineers, just a shortage of engineers who'll
work for 3rd world wages.

Vaughn