Which native driver to use with D-Link wireless?

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Mon Mar 10 12:50:24 MST 2008

joe at actionline.com wrote:
> .
> While searching for a way to get my D-Link DWL G122 wireless USB key
> to work with one of my Linux boxes, I found several links that claim
> that there are "native" wireless drivers available so one does not
> have to use ndiswrapper, but I can't figure out figure out if there
> are multiple drivers to choose from and where to get the right one.
>
> Here are some of the links I found and some excerpts found at each:
>
> -- http://www.atlink.it/~conti/articles/d-link-dwl-g122-and-linux/
>
> D-Link DWL G122 is an inexpensive compact USB key and 802.11b/g compliant.
> With the last 2.6 kernel it is not recognized. You can try ndiswrapper,
> but I have found a better solution: native drivers under Linux
> Make sure you have USB key D-Link DWL G122 H/W Ver C1 F/W Ver 3.00
>
> From a terminal, with the root user:
> # wget http://rt2×00.serialmonkey.com/rt73-cvs-daily.tar.gz
> # tar zxvf rt73-cvs-daily.tar.gz
> # cd rt73-cvs-*/Module
> # make
> # make install
>
> # lsusb | grep Link ... should show this:
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 07d1:3c03 D-Link System
>
> But on my system:
> # lsusb | grep Link ... shows this:
> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp
>
> So, I looked further and found that the chipset is made by
> -- http://www.ralinktech.com/ ... then to support > linux
> and there found a bunch of confusing different references:
> -- http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
>
> That eventually led me to this website:
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads
>
> And also these:
> -- http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/rt2400/rt2x00-2.0.0-b1.tar.gz?download
> -- http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt2x00-2.0.0-b1.tar.gz
>
> So, how do I figure out which driver to get and where to get it?

I have a DWL-1394 - Dlink Wireless USB and had the toughest time getting
it working under Linux.  It would work for a bit and then just stop.

Under Ubuntu Gutsy, it found the hardware right away and I had no issues.

Under Fedora 6, I had to compile the drivers, and also add the current
rt73 driver that came with F6 to the blacklist so it wouldn't load.  I
could then load the compiled driver without issue.  I just couldn't get
it to connect to my network though.  It kept finding an unencrypted
network in my apartment complex and kept going to it.

I finally gave up on the device and use a AirLink wireless "bridge" and
haven't had any issues with it.