Setting up encrypted Laptop -- Follow up

Richard Wilson relw at mchsi.com
Sat Mar 8 20:08:14 MST 2008

All,

I have found an article that outlines more or less exactly what I want
to do at http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/cryptoroot-f8/ -- it
outlines how to install Fedora 8 with only an unencrypted /boot
partition.  In the instructions though, it uses an option that can only
be done using the graphic installer, which, so far, I haven't gotten to
work.

In the installer I am editing the vmlinuz parms and adding "nohz=off
nolapic" without those, the install on my Dell Latitude D810 hangs  when
it says "running /sbin/loader".  With those parms it boots the install
successfully but displays vertical gray bars right after it
"successfully" starts the X server...

I tried adding "vga=733" to tell it to try a 1024x768 display, but that
didn't work either.  I am using the flat panel built into the laptop
with the ATI Radeon built-in video controller... I may have to switch to
using a CRT for teh install.

Fedora 8 runs fine on this hardware -- I had it up and running before I
got ordered to encrypt (or be forced to run only Windows).  I used the
text based installer last time.

Again, thanks in advance for any insights into this.

Richard Wilson