Setting up encrypted Laptop

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Sat Mar 8 08:10:17 MST 2008

Richard Wilson wrote:
> All,
>
> I am setting up my laptop to be as encrypted as possible, and I'm
> leaning towards using LUKS partitions to do the work.  Is it possible to
> only have an unencrypted /boot and have everything else encrypted?  From
> what I found on the 'net so far, that may not be possible.
>
> I have experimented with Truecrypt as well and that is a decent
> alternative.  Any opinions as to which is "better"?
>
> Any full disk encryption tools out there that are Linux compatible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard Wilson
> relw at mchsi dot com

This is exactly what I did.  On my PC, I used Gutsy and on my laptop I
used Etch.  I kind of flip-flop between the two.

If you use the Gutsy alternative disc, you can set up encryption.

What I typically do is have the /boot as ext3, then use the rest of the
drive partitioned for encryption.  I then use LVM to break the partition
into two sections, swap and root (I could do more).  I then install as
usual.  Works great.

For my backup, I use a little thumb drive that was encrypted with
TrueCrypt.  They have an installer for Ubuntu, but for Etch one has to
compile it.  There are instructions in their forums about this.  Not too
difficult.  I like their new front-end for it.

 From what I have heard the new Fedora 9 will over full drive encryption
as well.