Debian Question

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Mar 3 22:13:48 MST 2008

Am 03. Mar, 2008 schwätzte chip33az at netscape.net so:

> I have a question about compiling packages on Debian.
>
> I would like to move back to Etch since I feel it is more stable (and
> for some reason the networking is faster) than my current Gutsy install.

I have seen a few guides on moving from Ubuntu to Debian. Look for
something specific to Gutsy and Etch.

> Most of the programs I can use the default Etch with no issues, but
> there are some I would like to either install myself or compile myself.
>
> For example, I would like the latest GNUCash (helping me with my
> accounting class) and Iceweasel and Icedove.
>
> Any issues with installing/compiling these?  I have used Debian for a
> long time, but typically just do the apt-get/aptitude route.

If you're just wanting the newer packages try grabbing them from another
repository.

www.backports.org

I don't see GNUCash, but I do see Iceweasel.

You might also be able to pin those packages to testing or unstable and
grab them from there without importing a bunch of other stuff.

I cover pinning packages in my cafod document.

http://www.LuftHans.com/unix/docs/HOWTO/cafod.txt

If those don't work or you really want to compile the packages yourself
you can download the debian package source by enabling source
repositories. Once the source repositories you need are enabled and you've
updated your package cache you can use something like 'apt-get source
iceweasel' to grab the source package for Iceweasel. After that you can
follow any number of guides on creating your own binary package.

Look at the apt-get manpage for the source and build-dep sections.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
#  We grow old by deserting our ideals.
#  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm
#  wrinkles the soul.  -- Samuel Ullman