Asterisk (geek girl)

tjones at fastq.com tjones at fastq.com
Mon Mar 3 20:33:01 MST 2008

Quoting Geek Girl <geekgirl28 at cox.net>:

> Well the Phoenix Asterisk Users Group is going to be organizing. I do know
> this first hand. =-)

I don't supposed you would care to expand on this?

> Alas AdminsParadise is officialy a dead project.
> Elastix has hylafax bundeled in thier distro...
> The biggest problem right now with trixbox is that there are 4 people that
> work on it...2 developers and a sales guy and a Package dude..Oh and dont
> get me started on the fact that your trixbox has a cron job that sends your
> data to trixbox servers...this was a HUGE fiasco about a month back....This
> was previously unreleased info to the community. Fonality has put all of
> their money and energy in trixbox PRO..(which is a peice of cr at p)
> You can compile on the back end...HA but if they do not support the card you
>
> cannot configure it in the GUI....and void any waranty bla bla bla.....

The phone home fiasco wasn't the worst of it, they had a mechanism that would
have allowed Fonality to download files and/or run arbitrary commands as root.
Despite reassurances and disclaimers from Fonality in their public forums, I
downloaded PBX in a Flash the same night I read that thread, and I'm not going back.

If anyone cares, unlikely as that is, the thread starts here:
http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/trixbox-phones-home

The ironic thing was, I was only reading the forums after a Trixbox update broke
my config.

TJ