Suse Linux 10.3 help requested

Frank Mandato fgm1147 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 1 10:44:39 MST 2008

Hi All,

  I have a couple of minor glitches with this distro and would appreciate any help and advice on how to solve them.

  First my system. MB is a Gigabyte G1 Turbo with on board sound and lan. It is a 64 bit system running on an X86 platform with plenty of ram and a NVidia GEForce6800GS video card.

  Problem No.1: I have no mouse pointer, yet the mouse works. I have to drag and click on my desktop to see where my mouse pointer should be. I edited the xorg.conf file to turn off the HW pointer and then turn on the SW pointer, and the other way around, just to make sure, no success. The pointer works perfectly well during the install, no problem there. The mouse is a MS Optical USB mouse and that is what Sax2 sees and writes in to the config file.

  Problem No.2: I can only get a 16 bit color palette, anything higher than that will not work. I downloaded the appropriate driver from Nvidia via yast at the command line and add the nvidia url to the community repositories, no success. I would like to be able to get everything I can out of my video card, but I can also live with the resolution that I currently have.

  Problem No. 3: No sound. I have on board sound hardware and the legacy alsa driver does not produce any sound. I had alwas had trouble with alsa, never able to configure any sound card properly, a real weak point for me.

  Thanks in advance for any help or directions where I can go to look things up.

   I apologize in case this email comes across in HTML and not just text, I will have that working by sometime next week.

  FrankM