laptop power button advise

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 23:51:01 MST 2008

Sorry, but perhaps I was not making myself clear.  Using the BIOS
delay is a way to PREVENT accidently shutting the system down using
the power button as the original question requested.  You are totally
correct that it should never be used as the means to shut a system
down except in an emergency situation where there is no other way to
do so.  If the BIOS (or other delay) is not in place, then a user
might easily do a bad shutdown accidentally.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM, koder <hmichels01 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Pressing and holding the power button to power the computer on any
> contemporary desktop or laptop prevents the OS from writing the
> information it needs to store to do a graceful shutdown.
>
> That process is only used if you have a severe lockup. It has the
> possibility and perhaps even probability of leaving your system in an
> unstable condition when you power it back up.
>
> I would opine that leaving a text document open in the background falls
> in the category of a real kludge. I have not looked at it but I know
> Linux uses scripts to shut system down. You should be able to modify
> them to function as you desire, in this case ask you if you want to shut
> down or not giving you the option of aborting shutdown.
>
> Disabling the power button will sooner or later leave you with a system
> that will have to have the battery removed to turn it off. Very
> undesirable.
>
> Try looking for the file power.sh
> I found mine in /etc/acpi/ on my Ubuntu 7.04 system
>
> Here is an article on the acpid daemon that seems to interface with the
> power button.
>
> http://www.hscripts.com/tutorials/linux-services/acpid.html
>
> Hope that is of some use.
>
> Harold

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and
what they ought to be.
 - William Hazlitt