laptop power button advise

koder hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 22:57:39 MST 2008

Pressing and holding the power button to power the computer on any
contemporary desktop or laptop prevents the OS from writing the
information it needs to store to do a graceful shutdown.

That process is only used if you have a severe lockup. It has the
possibility and perhaps even probability of leaving your system in an
unstable condition when you power it back up.

I would opine that leaving a text document open in the background falls
in the category of a real kludge. I have not looked at it but I know
Linux uses scripts to shut system down. You should be able to modify
them to function as you desire, in this case ask you if you want to shut
down or not giving you the option of aborting shutdown.

Disabling the power button will sooner or later leave you with a system
that will have to have the battery removed to turn it off. Very
undesirable.

Try looking for the file power.sh
I found mine in /etc/acpi/ on my Ubuntu 7.04 system

Here is an article on the acpid daemon that seems to interface with the
power button.

http://www.hscripts.com/tutorials/linux-services/acpid.html

Hope that is of some use.

Harold