DOOM engine for modern Linux systems?

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 22:24:04 MST 2008

Try Vmware?

FC 9 runs VMWARE Player.  There are 32bit versions that you can run and just install the DOOM from id?

There are quite a few custom wads around also?

Although you are prolly not going to win any WAD networking contests, on accounta the VMWARE bridging?

But you run all the cheat codes (kinda boring).

Just go buy the new Doom 4 for $19.99 at Fry's and run IT in a Window VMWARE [player might be required].  I am not sure of Vmware on OpenSuse (I just use 10.3 for it's good patch management/security and use FC 9 for Vmware testing).

Kurt Granroth <kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com> wrote: Does anybody currently play classic DOOM (DOOM, DOOM II, and Final DOOM)
on Linux?  If so, what do you use?

I got bit by a nostalgia bug lately and want to play the original DOOM.
  I remember using Doom Legacy back in the day but the binary doesn't
work on my 64-bit openSUSE system and it doesn't come close to compiling
with a modern gcc 4.x compiler.

The Eternity project does have a working engine... but it's not much
beyond a classic port.  It only goes up to 1024x768 for instance and
doesn't have the OpenGL effects that newer engines have and that Doom
Legacy has spoiled me for.

So am I alone in playing these (now ancient) games?  Or what is the
preferred engine?

Kurt

(602)325-5325 Asterisk
(503)754-4452 Blackberry