DOOM engine for modern Linux systems?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sun Jun 8 20:56:07 MST 2008

Does anybody currently play classic DOOM (DOOM, DOOM II, and Final DOOM)
on Linux?  If so, what do you use?

I got bit by a nostalgia bug lately and want to play the original DOOM.
  I remember using Doom Legacy back in the day but the binary doesn't
work on my 64-bit openSUSE system and it doesn't come close to compiling
with a modern gcc 4.x compiler.

The Eternity project does have a working engine... but it's not much
beyond a classic port.  It only goes up to 1024x768 for instance and
doesn't have the OpenGL effects that newer engines have and that Doom
Legacy has spoiled me for.

So am I alone in playing these (now ancient) games?  Or what is the
preferred engine?

Kurt