DD-WRT and Cox-- any warnings?

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 06:54:25 MST 2008

You have a directly attached "modem" correct?  I.E. you do not have your own Wireless router, but plug your computer directly into their "modem".

  You could setup a Linux box as a port forwarding firewall box with faster access; but the best solution is a "router".

  Netgear ProSafe VPN are favored, but really nothing short of a new Cisco ASA is going to provide any real security, even if you turn off remote management, etc. provided you interact with nepharious characters (like us).

Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:
  In the case I was in, I had to do an interactive synchronization of
MAC. The person on the phone was very belligerent, continually saying
that multiple computers are not allowed and this needs to be removed,
blah blah blah yakkity smackity. I power cycled, reinitialized, etc,
about a zillion times (plus or minus one ;) ) and looking at logs
between each. It wasn't until calling Cox that I found out about the
increased tightness of MAC linkage... again, perhaps only in my house,
perhaps not :)

Mind you it looked like it worked every time, I just couldn't get a
page from any computer/ip on my network without it pulling up a page
saying something that cox customer relations needs to be contacted.

--
Thanks,
Dan Lund

(602)325-5325 Asterisk